03rd March 2020
Hayley works as a Front of House Manager at one of our client sites in London and has worked at Anabas for nearly two years. Learn about her career as she answers questions on her journey so far…
1. Firstly, can you tell us about your career path and what’s led you to the role you’re in today?
I started my career as a receptionist but decided to explore other options and worked as a nurse and a waitress before going back to office-based work. I started work at my current client site as a receptionist, and then became a reservations administrator and senior receptionist, followed by Reception Supervisor and finally Front of House Manager which is my current role at Anabas.
2. What attracted you to the Facilities Management industry?
To be honest, I didn’t know what FM was! I knew I wanted to work in the city and in a job with variety and this role provides that.
3. What does a typical day in the life of a Front of House Manager involve?
My day usually starts with a quick catch up with my team to say hello and make sure everything’s OK, usually fuelled by coffee. I then attend a daily management meeting, with more coffee, to discuss the business of the day and anything that’s happened overnight. I may have health and safety administration to do, inspections to carry out, recruitment, training to deliver, covering reception and reservations desks or preparing wider team activities such full team meetings. I also have lots of reports to prepare and collate – this is usually accompanied by coffee…
4. Is there anything which surprised you about the FM industry when you first started? / Is there something you wish you’d have known before starting in FM?
I really wish I’d known what it was! The different options open to me and the scope of the industry as a whole has been really surprising.
5. What do you love most about your job at Anabas / working in the FM industry?
At Anabas, the one team approach and the opportunities to learn more is fantastic. There is lots of networking opportunities between sites and there is a great collaborative culture!
6. What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Nurturing and developing my team is a very satisfying and rewarding part of my job.
7. What would you say are the biggest rewards about working in FM?
Knowing how much your role contributes to the overall running of the client’s business.
8. What sort of things have you done to support your career development?
Throughout my career, I have gained qualifications in Leadership and Management, a basic teaching course and I have become an NVQ Assessor. I am now undertaking a Level 4 apprenticeship in Facilities Management.
9. What do you wish you’d known when you were starting out in your career?
The different options available to me in order to achieve progression. The winning lottery numbers would also be nice…
10. What do you think are the secrets behind getting to where you’ve got to?
Co-operation with all levels of staff and management has been key.
11. What skills do you feel are essential for someone interested in your role?
You must be highly organised and flexible to business needs. Eyes in the back of your head would also be useful…
12. What advice would you give young people who haven‘t quite decided on a career path yet?
If in doubt get a trade. Take any training that’s offered to you and whatever job you’re doing do it well; you never know what doors that could open for you or where you might come across that boss again in the future!
13. What advice would you give to young people who are wanting to come into FM?
Do it! There’s lots of scope in this industry for a young person to develop and build a successful career.
14. What are the prospects like within FM? What do you think the future will hold for the next generation?
I think technology and sustainability are and will continue to be paramount in the FM industry.
Find out more information about working at Anabas and live vacancies here: www.anabas.co.uk/join-us/
For general enquiries, please contact our Business Support Centre on 0844 576 3737.
If you are interested in any of our services, please complete the below enquiry form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.